U.P Writers Day
Submitted by noid on November 12, 2008 - 2:11am. Lecture/Talk | Literary Reading | Miscellaneous Event
12/05/2008 - 9:00am
12/05/2008 - 11:59pm
You are invited to the UP Writers Day!
The Likhaan's annual celebration of UP Writers Night is the literary highlight that caps the year. Since it started several decades ago, the UP Writers Night has become a tradition among writers and artists as the time for coming together to celebrate Philippine literature and the other arts.
In celebration of the sentenary of the University of the Philippines, the Likhaan: UP Institute of Creative Writing is expanding its annual celebration of UP Writers Night to UP Writers Day 2008. As the expanded version of UP Writers Night, this event is even more awaited by the country's writers and literary readers, artists, and students.
UP Writers Day 2008 will be held on December 5 and will comprise activities that begin in the morning of the said day and culminate in the celebration of Writers Night. The concept is homecoming, and the activities are targeted toward writers who have been part of the UP National Writers Workshops and young writers who will eventually gain admission to the current advanced UP National Writers Workshop held yearly in Baguio City. Other expected participants are writers from other institutions, artists from other fields, friends of writers, and writing students.
What are the activities?
UP Writers Day is full of activities.
- Opening of exhibit on the UP National Writers Workshops at Galleria 2 in Bulwagang Rizal
- A lecture (last installment in the Likhaan: UPICW's Centennial Panayam series) by Dr. Gemino H. Abad at the Pulungang Recto in Bulwagang Rizal
- A forum on current literature participated in by the finalists of the Madrigal Gonzalez Best First Book Award at the Pulungang Recto in Bulwagang Rizal
- The awarding ceremony of the Madrigal Gonzalez Best First Book Award at the Pulungang Recto in Bulwagang Rizal
- A book bazaar at the foyer of Pulungang Recto in Bulwagang Rizal particpated in by the University of the Philippines Press, Ateneo de Manila University Press, University of Santo Tomas Publishing House, Anvil Publishing, Inc., Milflores Publishing House, Aklat Adarna, and Lampara Books.
- Water Rocket Firing at the Hardin ng mga Diwata
- UP Writers Night featuring performances at the center stage in Teatro Hermogenes Ylagan and food and drink stalls at the right atrium of Bulwagang Rizal. The show at the center stage includes spoken word/poetry performances and musical numbers.The atrium will be transformed into a writers plaza with food and drink stalls, tables, and chairs where guests can mingle and refresh themselves before rejoining the other guests at the theater to watch the night-long show.
See you there!!!